Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Veterans: Be prepared for Corporate America when you transition from military service

Hey Fellow Veterans, 

I'm Odie Anderson 22 year Navy veteran who will agree Corporate America is a different animal. I am currently working in education. The transition to civilian work for many of us 'lifers' will be tough as it is for me. A few things you need to be aware of are:

Politics are a constant issue. You will be considered an outsider and will need to forge connections that benefit you. Be aware there will be push back. Your vast experiences make you a perceived threat to everyone around you. Although we don't do what we do for glory that's the way it may be perceived.

You may need to relax a little. I love to work plain and simple. I don't like chit chat so when I'm at work, I WORK! But civilians ebb and flow a bit more. Take some breaks, drop in to see that buddy to chat for a few. I still haven't found the time to do that but it would help everyone appreciate me more.

Look for areas outside of your primary job to give back. Years of collateral duties and extra-curricular activities have made us "Jacks of all Trades". Most of us enjoy change and challenge and you may find initially your job doesn't provide enough. Volunteer, join a mentoring group, coach little league, do something! You will be healthier and happier.

If you want a more candid expression of what I have encountered over the last two and a half years transitioning from the military PLEASE contact me. I would love to help. Let's not lose the camaraderie we gained during our service to this great country.


No comments:

Post a Comment